Pages

Popular Posts

Saturday, April 21, 2012

London and Second Chances

Photo: Edyta Pawlowska/Shutterstock


I've been to London and did not like it.  The weather sucked, the tube workers striked, and I incessantly compared everything to Paris.  Paris, oh Paris. I imagined that I was instead in Paris.  I had visited Paris a year before, and fell in love.  Love.  Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Paris.  Then and now.  Enchanting.

Time passes.  Time passed.  And now, I'm ready to give London a second chance.  Actually, I'm going to London because one of my favorite people in the world, moved there with her husband for a year.  So this trip is a must.  I would never pass up on free European lodging, especially if I also get a nearly free trip with my American Airlines skymiles.  Plus, most importantly, I get to hang out with cool people.  I travel in just over a week.

Before I travel, I must...write a paper, collect data for co-authors, finish statistics assignment, take statistics final, jump in the car right after aforementioned exam, drive 3 hours to the airport, get on a connecting flight, land, wait 3 hours, then catch an overnight flight to London.

Overwhelmed.

But the time will go by quickly.  It often does when there is too much to do in not enough time.  I cope by imagining my future self, relaxing at a London cafe, grubbing on fish n chips, chatting with my friends.  I will be the non-tourist tourist.  I want to feel what this city is all about.  Feel it the way that the natives do.  I will leave the flat without a plan and get lost.  Hopefully, discover the unexpected.  My friend is excited to show me her discoveries and I am excited to see them.  I. am. excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment